St. Mary’s of Hague, one of the most spectacular churches in German-Russian Country, was built, or rather rebuilt, in 1930. (The shrine standing north of the church is an adaptive reuse of the the entrance to the original church, which was destroyed by fire on 13 February 1929.) The sanctuary of St. Mary’s is awe-inspiring, with its high altar, its statuary, its stenciling, and its vaulted ceilings. St. Mary’s is the oldest German-Russian parish in North Dakota. It is inspiring to think that the people of St. Mary’s, in the early years of the Great Depression, gave their treasure and labor to build this magnificent House of God. Indeed, the massive basement was dug entirely by human and horse labor.